Why can we shout from the rooftops about our physical transformation but keep it secret when we hire a financial coach to help us transform our finances?
Coach Jill dives into the thoughts we have about money that are actually holding us back from seeing a true transformation of our finances, which can be life changing too.
Have you ever thought, “How are they doing that?” when you see friends going on vacation, renovating their house, taking a voluntary sabbatical from work, or driving their new dream car? Usually, this thought is followed by another one that involves self-doubt, shame, or embarrassment because we believe we must be “doing it all wrong”.
Asking for help to figure out how to “do it right” brings an onslaught of emotions that often prevents us from taking steps to learn a better way. I mean, people hire personal trainers to help them figure out how to lift stronger and run faster. Why do we feel shame asking for help saving more money or paying down debt?
We don’t experience shame asking for help with our fitness, learning how to cook, or even parent better?
Let’s dive in and examine the thoughts that are holding us back from financial transformation and why we are having them in the first place.
Here are some of the top reasons people feel afraid to invest in transforming their finances:
- It feels too vulnerable or embarrassing.
- They fear judgment for past mistakes or mishandling of money.
- They worry they are beyond help, tat there is nothing that can be done, and it’s too late.
- They don’t want to be told what to do with their money. (Sidenote: This is likely UNTRUE. People DO want to be told what to do with their money. They just want to be told they can do and have all the things you want.)
- It is too expensive. They already worry about money, so how will they afford this additional expense?
- Jill mentions her good friend and cookie artist Jen. Check out her amazing talent on Instagram @jentasticsweets
- Blog post: Start Small: Four Small Changes that Have a Big Impact on Your Finances
- Podcast episode: The Fiscal Fitness Podcast Episode 69: How Money Changes the way you think & feel. An episode about HAVING wealth and BECOMING wealthy