Why is it that we want to shout from the rooftops when we hire a personal trainer to help us get in the best shape of our lives, but we want to keep it a secret when we want to hire a financial coach to help us transform our finances?
Coach Jill dives into the thoughts we have about money that are actually holding us back from becoming skilled in this incredibly important area of life.
Have you ever thought “How are they doing that?” when you see friends going on vacation, renovating their house, taking a voluntary sabbatical from work, or driving their new dream car? Usually, this thought is followed by another one that involves self-doubt, shame, or embarrassment because we believe we must be “doing it all wrong”.
Asking for help to figure out how to “do it right” brings an onslaught of emotions that often prevents us from taking steps to learn a better way. WHY do we feel shame asking for help in this area of life? We never experience shame asking for help with our fitness, or in learning a new trade, or learning how to cook or even parent better? Let’s dive in and examine the thoughts that are holding us back from financial transformation and why we are having them in the first place.
Here are some of the top reasons why people feel afraid to invest in transforming their finances:
- It feels too vulnerable or embarrassing.
- I fear judgment for my past mistakes or mishandling of money.
- I worry that I will be told that I am beyond help. That there is nothing that can be done/it’s too late.
- I don’t want to be told what to do with my money (This is likely UNTRUE. You likely DO want to be told what to do with your money – you just want it to be told you can do and have all the things you want.)
- It is too expensive. I already worry about money, how will I add this additional expense? (Listen to find out what this thought is really all about.)
- Jill mentions her good friend and cookie artist Jen. Check out her amazing talent on Instagram @jentasticsweets
- Blog post: Start Small: Four Small Changes that Have a Big Impact on Your Finances
- Podcast episode: The Fiscal Fitness Podcast Episode 69: How Money Changes the way you think & feel. An episode about HAVING wealth and BECOMING wealthy