This content has been archived. It may no longer be relevant

Time management and money management are intimately connected. We often see clients who suffer from poor money management in part because they have poor time management. The two are definitely related.

“Why is a budget coach talking to me about managing my time? The reality is they are very connected and very similar. Sometimes the feeling of overspending or not managing our money very well or wanting to become more in control of our money, it is simply a symptom of mismanaging time.”

In this episode of The Fiscal Fitness Podcast, Kelsa explains her nine time-management strategies that will not only make you more productive but will positively affect your spending habits too.


Notes from the Episode:

  • Convenience is costly. If you aren’t managing your time, you may find yourself spending money out of convenience.
  • Not having a plan with our money and our time can look very similar. It can be hard to figure out which is the problem and which is the symptom, that is why often times I end up tackling both time and money management with a client.
  • The goal with money is not to be perfect. It’s simply to make progress and plan ahead as best as possible. If you can plan for 75% of your expenses, the remaining 25% becomes more manageable.
  • Time and money are limited resources. Even the wealthiest people have to choose what to spend their money on. We all have only 24 hours in a day. You need to plan wisely how to spend your time and money.
  • It can be tempting to be spontaneous with our time. The idea of planning ahead can be dreadful if you are a person who loves spontaneity. You can build spontaneity into your time management, but if you don’t have a plan, you’re more likely to fritter away your time than be spontaneous with it. It is the same concept with your money. The idea of budgeting every dollar feels restrictive, but if you budget your money, you can build in a budget for spontaneity.

Strategies for time management:

  • Create a 10-minute task list. This is a list of things you can get done in 10-15 minutes, so you’re not tempted to think it’s too small of an amount of time to get things done.
  • Use a calendar and preferably an electronic one, especially if you are managing a team or a family.
  • Use color coding and time blocks on your calendar to plan for your work and personal life. Time block work projects like networking, marketing, or business administration. Time block your personal life for family time, free time, and working out. When you color code these things, you’ll be able to see what areas of your life may be lacking that week.
  • Create a schedule and stick to it. Treat your time like you would a doctor or an accountant that you have an appointment with. You wouldn’t be late or cancel that appointment at the last moment. Treat your time with that same amount of respect.
  • One of the biggest obstacles to managing time and money is sticking to the commitments to yourself.


Want to learn more about time blocking? Here are a few resources to get you started:

  • Could time blocking replace your to-do list? Read this Fast Company article.
  • How Elon Musk time blocks, read here.
  • Toggl, a time blocking software.

Thanks for listening to The Fiscal Fitness Podcast. Never miss an episode by subscribing to it here. To stay inspired and hear more of our money tips and tricks, follow the Fiscal Fitness Facebook page here or signup for our Simple Change newsletter below.